Featured Post

Book Review: Past Marriageable Age by Sudesna Ghosh

Grab The Book Review: Past Marriageable Age by Sudesna Ghosh

Good day!
A unique Title for a Book in the Romance genre, right? I picked up Past Marriageable Age by Sudesna Ghosh for the same reason.
I read this few days ago. Again. Had read it last year and forgot to write a review. But I had loved a few quotes from this book. So on the pretext of searching for those quotes, I ended up re-reading this book.


Look out for the Quotes I liked in the Review.

I pondered life and how we really aren’t ever too young or too old to be loved and to love and to be happy. Pg.70

 



Love is overrated. Self love is awesome. Pg.6

Story:

Koel is a divorce lawyer. Nearing forty and Single. She is living with her old mother. She has two close friends who are single too. She loves coffee, books and her law practice. She is not keen on marriage at this age. But so called well-wishers, relatives and her uptight mom wont let that hope die. She spends her weekends at Book Haven a Book store, at coffee shops or with her friends.

Mrs. Smith the owner of Book Store introduces Ranbir Ray to Koel. Ranbir is 52, handsome, wealthy and a divorcee. He sets Koel's heart racing. This is a rare occurrence with self-proclaimed celibate Koel. 
One coffee date and these "oldies" discover they have many things in common.

Will there be more dates? What is the end goal of this dating? Is there love in the picture at this age? Marriage even? Let's see what happens to Past Marriageable Age Koel.

Grab The Book 
  

What I liked:


The story plot. It is actually a few lines long. But Sudesna weaved an entire story out of it. I have mentioned this in an earlier Book Review too. Sudesna weaves stories which can be ramblings of our mind.  Read Book Review: My Singapore Fling by Sudesna Ghosh 

The story is short and sweet. But it is well fleshed out and gives each character a good part. The flow is consistent. The language is good.

The concepts of Self-love, love has no age, Age is just a number are integrated beautifully.

but that doesn’t matter when you’re unapologetically yourself. Which I was since my thirties. No more struggling to fit in. You be you. Pg.50

I liked the background details of a lawyers life. I loved to see how Koel's day-to-day life is shown. It was a delight to see how sorted life is for a Single women :D This is a joke. A sarcastic one. So if you are married and have kids, this would seem like an ideal life ;).

Me being at the same age as the protagonist Koel, I could relate to her life as a Single Women staying with her mother. I could understand her theory about life, love and marriage. I say Theory as it is Theory in the real sense. I am married, have two kids, loving husband and family to adore. I am glad Koel understood the Practical or Real life part of it too.

I loved Ranbir as a person a lot. Talk about Mr.Perfect, who cooks too ;) I also loved Koel's mom. She was mean to Koel and didn't mince words at all. Loved her for her character portrayal. Koel's friends were good too. But I found Koel more mature.

I wish there are more Book shops like Book Haven and owner's like Mrs. Smith. Also loved the idea of the proposal. You must read the book to know that :D

I know my career existed because of the social construct of marriage, but why oh why couldn’t anybody – especially women – look at it as a matter of choice instead of a must-do? Pg.51

What I wanted more:

More of the story. Or is there a sequel coming for this book, Sudesna? Sure would love to know more about Koel and Ranbir's life.

Grab The Book 
  


More Books I have read by Sudesna :

Do grab the book, read and leave a review on Amazon and Goodreads. Thank you in advance. 

Bye. Take care.

Comments